Table of Contents
What does APS stand for?
APS means Admission Point Score. It is as one of the tools to see if applicants qualify for their respective programmes in Universities (South Africa).
In order to be considered for a specific programme, Applicants will need to meet the minimum APS. Generally, working out your APS mark is easy to calculate when using your final Matric results.
Why Do APS Matter?
APS requirements are a simple way of letting students know which courses they could qualify for. Every university has different requirements for different courses. APS requirements are an easy way to reduce the number of work universities have to do, with regards to informing the huge number of students who apply every year of their acceptance or rejection.
How do I get my APS?
- First, you have to have your final Matric examination certificate.
- Your top 7 Matric subject’s marks are changed into a point system that works out your APS
- This means you get a point for each Matric subject that you wrote in the final examination.
- The number of points you get for each of your final Matric examination subjects will depend on what percentage you get for each subject.
- The points get for each subject should then be added up. This total will be your APS.
- (See diagram 2 below as an example of how you calculate your APS).
How do universities use the APS to allow you to apply for a course at the university?
- Universities use your total APS point to see if you qualify to study for the specific course at that you are applying for.
- Take note: Each university allocates the amount of APS points needed to study a course differently. This means that a course at one university won’t need the same APS points as the same course at another university.
- It is very important that you make absolutely sure you find out what a university’s specified minimum APS points are for a specific course before you apply, as well as all the other specifications.
- For example; You want to apply for a teaching course at a university. One university might state that your minimum APS must be 30. However, another university might state that the minimum APS needed to apply for a teaching course is 20.
- Also important to remember: Make sure that you always study hard to get the highest marks/grades you are capable of getting. This is because it is not always enough to have only the bare minimum necessary to get accepted for the degree you want to study.
For further information about APS, how it works, and why you need it, please click here.
If you are interested in fashion and beauty tips, Click here to Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.