The management of the Nelson Mandela University has released the Application Requirement/Admission Requirement for the Student of the institution.
“Nelson Mandela University Application Requirement – mandela.ac.za Application Requirement, Nelson Mandela University Registration Requirement, Mandelela University Entry Requirement available below.”
Table of Contents
Nelson Mandela University Application Requirement / Registration Requirement
The table below explains how well you will need to do in your school subjects to meet the minimum entry requirements for each type of qualification.
|Qualification||Minimum Statutory Entry Requirement|
|Higher Certificate||Pass NSC with: A minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution, together with any other university requirements.|
|Diploma||Pass NSC with: A minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution, coupled with an achievement rating of 3 (40–49%) or better in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects (this excludes LO which is 10-credits), together with any other university requirements.|
|Bachelors Degree||Pass NSC with: A minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution, coupled with an achievement rating of 4 (50–59%) or better in four recognised 20-credit NSC subjects (this excludes LO which is 10-credits), together with any other university requirements.|
*(LOTL) Language of Teaching & Learning, which is English at Nelson Mandela University.
As per the Government Gazette Notice No.165 No. 41473 dated March 2018, the list of designated subjects has been revoked with immediate effect. Subsequent to this announcement, the revised admission requirements for degree entry as they pertain to Nelson Mandela University, are further explained below:
- Applicants must meet the minimum statutory entry requirements for each type of qualification they wish to apply for as stated above.
- The University may add additional subject-specific requirements for certain qualifications.
- Applicants will still need to comply with the Admission Point Score (APS), subject-specific level(s) set for specific subjects which may be required for certain qualifications, and/or fall within the APS testing band before a final decision will be made of the outcome of his/her application.
- Any recognised 20-credit NSC subject combinations (dependant on school capacity) can be used towards applying for degree studies (this excludes LO which is 10-credits), provided that each of these four subjects are also passed on a level 4 (50-59%) or higher.
How to calculate your Admission Point Score (APS)
- The APS system allocates point values to the levels of achievement obtained for your matric subjects.
- Write down your relevant NSC subjects and the levels obtained.
- Allocate points according to the table below.
- Add up the number of points you have to calculate your APS.
- Alternatively, use our online APS calculator
Table A: School Performance Score (SPS)
|NSC||NSC %||APS||APS Percentage|
|8||90 -100 %|
|7||80 -100 %||7||80 -89 %|
|6||70 -79 %||6||70 -79 %|
|5||60 -69 %||5||60 -69 %|
|4||50 -59 %||4||50 -59 %|
|3||40 -49 %||3||40 -49 %|
|2||30 -39 %||2||30 -39 %|
|1||0 -29 %||0||0 -29 %|
To enrol for the Diploma (Analytical Chemistry) you need an Admission Point Score (APS) of at least 34, as well as a National Senior Certificate (NSC) pass in Mathematics & Physical Science on at least a level 4 (50 – 59 %).
|NSC Subject||NSC %||Level||APS Points allocated|
|Life Orientation||74 %||6||6|
|Physical Science||71 %||6||6|
|Admission Point Score||39|
This applicant has met the minimum requirements for admission to the Diploma (Analytical Chemistry).
To enrol for the BCom (Accounting) you need an Admission Point Score (APS) of at least 38, as well as four subjects from the designated list and a pass in Mathematics on at least level 5 (60 69 %).
|Matric Subject||NSC %||Level||APS Points Allocated|
|Life Orientation||60 %||5||5|
|Physical Science||74 %||6||6|
|Life Sciences||81 %||7||7|
|Admission Point Score||41|
This student has met the minimum admission requirements for the BCom (Accounting) programme.
In addition to the minimum APS requirement, additional subject requirements have been set. These include:
This is required for certain programmes. Only performance in the core Mathematics topics (papers 1 and 2) will be used when making admission decisions. However, school learners are encouraged to also take the optional Mathematics topics.
In certain programmes, applicants who have Mathematical Literacy instead of Mathematics may be admitted to a programme where a Mathematics entry requirement has been set. In this instance, additional modules may be added to the programme, which may extend the length of the programme.
In view of the importance of quantitative literacy for success at Higher Education studies, a minimum of a 3 (40-49%) for Mathematical Literacy is preferred for likely admission to National Higher Certificate and National Diploma programmes and a 4 (50-59%) for likely admission to degree programmes where Mathematics is not a requirement unless otherwise indicated.
Therefore, the Nelson Mandela University Application Date has been published online and can be accessed through the school website provided below.
- Nelson Mandela University General Requirement Portal – https://www.mandela.ac.za/Apply/Admission/Entry-requirements
From the Link above, you can access the Nelson Mandela University Application Requirement – Registration Requirement.
If there should be any difficulty, please do well by dropping a comment below and we will give you a positive reply.