The Higher Education Financing (HEF) portal is now accepting applications for scholarships, bursaries, and loans for students entering universities.
Grants and scholarships will be granted based on the financial circumstances of the student, similar to how it has been done with the Higher Education Loans Board, HELB.
Table of Contents
Government scholarships and loans are accessible for students enrolling in universities, starting from the academic year 2023/2024 onwards.
How to apply for through the HEF Portal
Students who enrolled in university prior to 2023 can continue to use the previous government funding and HELB loan application system.
TYPE OF LOAN APPLICATION AVAILABLE
There Are Two Types of Undergraduate Loan Applications:
- First-Time Application: This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second & Subsequent Application: This is for applicants who are applying for the second, third, or fourth time as per the program duration.
PLEASE NOTE: The number of loans one is eligible for depends on the program duration. For example, one is given a loan 4 times for a 4-year program or 5 times for a 5-year program.
How to apply for a HELB Loan as a First Time Applicant:
Follow the steps below to apply to the Higher Education Loans Board, HELB Loan as a first-time applicant;
- Visit our website www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal and click on “create an account” to register.
- Once the account is created, log in and select the appropriate Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Read the literature or view the videos on Financial Literacy and participate in the brief exercise online.
- Access and fill out the loan application form.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form [Mandatory].
- Have the forms appropriately filled, signed, and stamped by the relevant authorities.
- Attach all the documents as per the checklist and present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form at:
- Any of the following Huduma centres nearest to you: Bomet, Bungoma, Chuka, Eldoret, Embu, Garissa, Nairobi GPO, Kakamega, Kericho, Kilifi, Kisii, Kisumu, Kitale, Kitui, Lodwar, Machakos, Makueni, Meru, Migori, Mombasa, Murang’a, Nakuru, Nandi Narok, Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Thika and West Pokot for free and secure delivery; or HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi.
- Retain a complete copy of the Loan Application Form [This is mandatory].
- Please ensure that you read, understand, and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the online loan application process including reading and undertaking the HELB Financial Literacy Programme.
- It is recommended that students prudently manage their HELB loans once disbursed to cater for Tuition, books, stationery, accommodation, and subsistence.
How to apply on the HELB App as a second and Subsequent applicant
Follow the steps below to apply to the Higher Education Loans Board, HELB Loanas a second and Subsequent applicant;
- Applicants should visit the Google Play store and download the HELB Mobile Application.
- Register your details [First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number] on the HELB App to generate a PIN which you will use to log in and accept the license agreement.
- Ensure that you use the Safaricom number that you use for Mpesa transactions and it should be registered in your name.
- Read the mandatory Financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question and answer to appreciate the purpose of credit.
- Scroll down to view results then click “proceed”.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Follow each step to fill in the required details and submit. A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied. The loan serial number will also be displayed.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be required to pay Kshs. 1 from your MPESA account during the application process to verify your telephone number. The application is paperless hence no printing.
- Students who are not Safaricom subscribers will be directed to the Portal and apply using the application form, after which they will be required to print and submit the form to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1 Floor at Anniversary Towers.
Helb Loan Requirements
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card.
- Copies of the parents’ National ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased.
- Copies of both guarantors’ National ID cards.
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate.
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only).
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution.
- One recent coloured passport-size photograph of the applicant.
Helb Loan Application Deadline:
- Undergraduate Scholarship, Loan & Bursary (First Time Application): 6th September, 2023
- Undergraduate Loan (Subsequent Application): 28th September, 2023
HELB Loan has been published online on the official website and can be accessed through the Link(s) provided below.
- Higher Education Loans Board Official website – https://www.helb.co.ke/