TSC Stands for Teachers Service Commission, it is an Independent government Commission established under the Constitution of Kenya to manage human resources within the education sector. It is based in the capital city, Nairobi with offices in the counties.
Teachers Service Commission is responsible for the registration of teachers with the following grades;
- Early Child Development Education, ECDE
- Primary Teacher Education, PTE
- Diploma in Education, DipEd
- Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
- Bachelor of Education, B.Ed.
- Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science, B.A/B.S
Table of Contents
- 1 TSC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements for Registration of Teachers
- 2 TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Kenyans)
- 3 TSC Registration Fee and Procedure
- 4 TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Non-Kenyan)
- 5 TSC Teacher Registration Process
- 6 Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate from TSC
- 7 Why TSC May Not Register a Teacher
- 8 Revocation/Recall of TSC Certificate of Registration
- 9 Removal of the Name from TSC Register
- 10 Offences Relating to Teacher Registration
- 11 Teacher Registration enquiries
TSC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements for Registration of Teachers
|i. Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC.|
|ii. Minimum means grade D+(Plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.|
|iii. Minimum mean grade D (Plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC Diploma|
|i. Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.|
|ii. Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above for University Diploma|
|i. Mean grade C+ (Plus) and above|
|b||PTE||i. Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above|
|ii. PTE Certificate from KNEC|
|iii. Mean grade of C- (minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons|
|C||Diploma in Education||i. Minimum grade C+( Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects specialization.|
|ii. At least C (Plain) in English|
|iii. C (plain) in Mathematics for Science-based courses|
|iv. D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses|
|d||Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired||i. Minimum grade C (Plain) in KCSE and above.|
|ii. At least C Minus in English|
|iii. C- (Minus) in Mathematics for Science-based courses|
|iv. D (Plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses|
|e||Bachelor of Education||i. Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or it’s equivalent.|
|ii. C+ (Plus) in two subjects of specialization|
|f||Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science||i. Minimum grade C+ (Plus) in KCSE and above and C+ (Plus) in the two subjects of specialization.|
|ii. Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)|
TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Kenyans)
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Relevant Academic and Professional Certificates from Recognized Institutions
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- Passport Photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Dully Filled GP 69 Medical Form
TSC Registration Fee and Procedure
A non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055
Deposit is made to the TSC Registration Account
National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001
Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
TSC Registration Requirements for Teachers (Non-Kenyan)
- Academic and Professional Certificates and Other Evidence for Registration as A Teacher Obtained in Kenya or The Country of Origin.
- Academic and Professional Certificates.
- Must-Have Been Awarded by An Accredited Foreign Institution and Equated by The Relevant Public Body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as A Teacher or Authority to Teach in The Country of Origin
- A Valid Entry / Work Permit Issued by The Department of Immigration
- A Valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by The Relevant Law Enforcement Agency in The Country of Origin
- Vetting Letter from The Ministry of Education (Kenya)
- The Prescribed Fee of Kshs. 1055
All documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub – County Director.
TSC Teacher Registration Process
The Commission has provided an online platform for the application and registration of teachers. Once an applicant is sure that he/she has all the required documents, they can visit the TSC website – www.teachersonline.go.ke and begin the application process.
Upon the receipt of the application, the Commission vets the documents and the applicant is given a response/decision within 30 (thirty days).
If the application is successful, the applicant is issued with a Registration Certificate which bears the Commission’s Chief Executive Officer’s signature.
The Certificate is then immediately posted to the teacher through the postal address indicated in the application. Also, applicants can access their registration status and/or TSC Number online on the TSC website.
Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate from TSC
The TSC Code of Regulations (2014), Regulation 27 mandates the Commissions to issue a Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate to a person who;
- Is in Kenya on Recognized Education Exchange Programmes or Other International Bilateral Arrangements Or
- Not Having Trained as A Teacher but Holds a Relevant Certificate Issued To Him/her Under Any Law Relating to Education and Training.
Why TSC May Not Register a Teacher
Section 27 of TSC Act 2012 mandates the Commission not register a person as a teacher who;
- Does not possess the prescribed qualifications
- Is not of good moral character
- Has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence committed against a learner
- Has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the commission, renders the person unfit to be a teacher
- Is engaged in any activities which in the opinion of the commission, are prejudicial to the peace, good order or good government in Kenya,
- Suffers from such physical or mental infirmity which in the opinion of a registered medical practitioner renders the person incapable of performing the duties of a teacher.
Revocation/Recall of TSC Certificate of Registration
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015), regulation 30 to after a due process revoke and recall a Certificate of Registration that was obtained through;
- A result of a mistake or
- Other unlawful means
Removal of the Name from TSC Register
The Commission is mandated by the TSC Act (2012), Regulation 30 to after due process removes from the register the name of a person who suffers from physical or mental illness or infirmity which renders the person incapable of performing the duties as a teacher and other listing offence.
- Has died
- Is satisfied has obtained registration through fraudulent means
- Has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against a pupil or a student
- Has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the commission renders the person unfit to be a teacher
- Has directed removal from the register as a result of disciplinary proceedings instituted or
Offences Relating to Teacher Registration
The TSC Code of Regulations 2015, Regulation 39 spells out that any person that falls in the below category has committed an offence and is liable on conviction a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or both.
- Falsely or fraudulently holds himself/herself as a registered teacher,
- Not being a registered teacher and teaches or assists in teaching in any school,
- Causes, permits, or employs to teach in any school a person who is not registered,
- Defaces amends or erases any entry in the certificate of registration,
- Applies for employment as a teacher in any name other than the full name as entered in the register of teachers,
- Has been removed from the register of teachers but continues to teach or
- Having been removed from the register of teachers and continues to hold and Use the certificate of registration for teaching or for any other purpose.
Teacher Registration enquiries
For any inquiries on teacher registration, the applicants or the public can call 020-2892351 or send an e-mail to; firstname.lastname@example.org