Moi University System of Managing Instruction (MUSOMI) is an online platform that facilitates distance learning as well as interaction with other students. With access to the software, you don’t have to attend classes physically. This great invention saves on time and ensures flexibility, as one will only take lessons during their free time.
Table of Contents
- 1 MUSOMI Login, Logout, and Password Reset Procedure
- 2 Moi University Online Course Registration
- 3 MUSOMI assignments
- 4 Moi University Institute of Open and Distance Learning contacts
With access to the platform, you can perform the following tasks:
- Build your profile
- Course enrolment
- View course structure
- Check and submit assignments
- View assessment outcome, results or feedback
- Check your grades
- Access the discussion forum
- Chat with fellow students
Note that MUSOMI and Moi University Student portal are two different platforms. The former is an e-learning resource, while the latter can be used by any student to check their results and fees balance.
Use the following steps if you are a new user:
Access the e-learning portal: Connect to the internet, open your browser and enter Moi University e-learning address.
Click on the “Create New Account” button: Scroll down until you locate the option. It is just below the login form.
Choose a username and a password: Make sure you choose a memorable and secure password.
Enter your details: You will be prompted to provide information such as email address, name, town, country, student number, and a valid mobile number.
Click on “Create my new account”: As soon as you are done with filling all the needed fields, tap on the mentioned button.
A verification email will be sent to your inbox: You need to login to your mail account to retrieve the link forwarded. If you can’t locate it, check on your spam folder.
MUSOMI Login, Logout, and Password Reset Procedure
- Navigate to the platform
- Provide the credentials you used to sign up with that is your username and a valid password.
- You should then click on the “Log In” green button.
To Log Out:
- Click on the top corner just next to your name
- A drop-down menu will appear. Click on “Log out.”
To Reset Your Password/Username:
- Go to the login page
- Click on “Forgotten your username or password?”.
- Enter your email address or username to locate your account on their database.
- A validation mail will be sent to your inbox, retrieve it to reset your account credentials. Note that the link in the message is only valid for 30 seconds, so you ought to be fast enough.
Updating Your Profile
As soon as you register, you should head to the profile section to update your details using the procedure below:
- Go to ‘Profile’: On the platform’s homepage, locate the option from the top-right drop-down menu.
- Tap “Edit Profile”: This is usually an orange coloured link.
- Edit any wrong details: If you entered an incorrect name or email, you can correct it here.
- Upload a profile picture: This is optional. Keep in mind that it should not exceed 200MB. The accepted formats are GIF, JPE, JPEG, JPG, PNG, SVG, and SVGZ.
- Other information: You can optionally add your nicknames, interests, webpage, skype I.D., ID number and Yahoo ID.
- Tap “Update Profile”: This option is just above the website footer.
Moi University Online Course Registration
It can be done manually by your lecturer. However, sometimes this isn’t possible, especially if many students are taking the unit. During such circumstances, you are required to register manually. You will need an enrolment key. If you can’t access it, get in touch with your lecturer.
Use the procedure below once you have the enrolment key:
- Login to your account: Use your username and password
- Choose the unit in question: Under the course categories on your homepage, locate the course.
- Click on the respective unit: A new window will be loaded.
- Enter the enrolment key: If you can’t access it, contact the lecture whose name is shown on the page. Tap “Enrol Me” after entering the key.
MUSOMI Course Structure
Upon enrolling, you will be taken to the respective unit’s page.
- The navigation bar: Its last item represents your current location on the webpage. Hence, to move to your previous screen, you should click on the last item in the trail.
- The news forum: This is where your lecturer will publicly post announcements and any other course updates.
- The course information area: It contains course details such as your expected syllabus, social and news forums.
- The week/topic heading: Any course is often organized by weeks or even by topics. Every week has a heading that contains an overview of what will be covered.
- The course content: These are materials usually in PDF format, to be learned that week. They are organized into various topics and sub-topics for ease access.
- Assignment: Contains the tasks to be done for the week or topic.
- Discussion forum: Here, you will find all the topics to be discussed concerning the week’s content.
There are different assignments given out after every week’s schedule. They are of two types, namely:
- Online text – Online text assignments are done on the website via a workspace provided by the system. After completion, click on the submit button.
- Upload – Upload ones are completed and uploaded on the platform in either Word, PDF, or Excel format, depending on the type of assignment.
Submitting Upload Assignments
Use the following procedure once you are logged in to the system:
- Click on the task: Go to your course webpage, click on the assignment you want to submit.
- Tap the “Add Submission” option: In the next page, you will see this option. It is a green button just below the task description.
- Upload the document: This can be done by clicking on the “Upload This File” option.
- Click “Save Changes”: If you skip this step, then your assignment will not have been fully uploaded to the system, and you might end up having missing marks.
If this process was a success, then the submission status should change to “Submitted for grading.
How to Submit an Online Assignment
The procedure below should be followed:
- Select the task in question: Go to your course’s homepage under ‘Assignments’. Choose the one you want to do and submit online.
- Click on “Add Submission”.
- Type in your answers: Keep in mind that once you start the test, you should be fast enough to complete it in the specified duration.
- Save the contents: To do so, click on the “Save Changes” option.
The submission status should change to “Submitted for Grading” if the procedure was a success.
Moi University Online Assessment Results
To view your assignment scores, use the steps below:
- Open the respective assignment: You should log in and then navigate to the specific unit’s homepage. Tap on the task in question. On the submission page, you will see if it is graded.
- View the feedback: Scroll down to check your scores and the lecturer’s comments.
- To check your overall grades after a complete semester, click on the ‘Grades’ tab.
All your scores for the particular course or unit will be displayed on the next page.
Moi University Institute of Open and Distance Learning contacts
In case you encounter any difficulties or you want to officially enrol in any course, use the following contacts to reach out to the management:
- Physical location: Bazaar Plaza, E – Floor, at the Junction on Biashara Street, Moi Ave, Nairobi
- Postal address: P.O BOX 3900 – Eldoret
- Phone number: +254 053 2030992
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: @Open and Distance Learning Moi University
- Website: elearning.mu.ac.ke
MUSOMI portal allows you to fit your learning around your home and work life without visiting Moi University lecture halls. Hence, you set your own pace of study and decide when to and where to do schoolwork.
Additionally, you will save on transport and additional costs which you would have incurred when doing a full-time course. You can gain a degree from anywhere in the country provided that you have access to the internet.