The Aga Khan University is a private, autonomous university that promotes human welfare through research, teaching and community service initiatives. Based on the principles of quality, access, impact and relevance, the University has campuses and programmes in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Its facilities include teaching hospitals, Faculties of Health Sciences with Schools of Nursing and Midwifery and Medical Colleges, Institutes for Educational Development, an Examination Board and an Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations.
The Graduate School of Media and Communications, the East African Institute, the Institute for Human Development and the Kiswahili Centre have been launched recently while several Graduate Professional Schools and Faculties of Arts and Sciences are to be set up in Pakistan and East Africa. Through its needs-blind admissions policy, the University imbues the most promising leaders and thinkers of tomorrow with an ethic of service and the skills to help communities solve their most pressing challenges. The Aga Khan University is one of nine agencies in the Aga Khan Development Network.
FAQs: “Equality Now Kenya Jobs, Equality Now Jobs, Equality Now Staff, Equality Now Nairobi, Equality Now Location, Equality Now Organization, Equality Now Board, Equality Now Criticism“
Table of Contents
Aga Khan University (AKU) Kenya Programme Advert
- Location: Kenya
- Company: Aga Khan University (AKU)
- Closing Date : 23 February. 2023
Reporting to the Study Coordinator, the successful candidates is required to contribute to recruitment of participants, data collection and follow-up of participants for the Inclusive Artificial Intelligence for Accessible Medical Imaging Across Resource-Limited Settings (AIMIX) research project. This project aims at to develop artificial intelligence aided pregnancy screening using low-cost fetal ultrasound.
The Research Nurse will be required to conduct the following activities at the health facility: Screening and recruitment of study participants, clinical and non-clinical data collection, sample collection and handling, anthropometry assessment and simple clinical assessments and follow-up of participants.
He/she will also be trained to perform simple ultrasound procedures and to retrieve ultrasound images from image archives (e.g. PACS) to help build a database of ultrasound images. Participant follow up will include extraction of participant data and perinatal outcomes from patient files and databases.
He / She will be required to comply with stipulated guidelines on all study activities. The Research Nurse will be required to be sensitive and considerate throughout the encounter with participants, their families and other health facility staff and at all times to display a professional attitude.
The position is based at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Nairobi. The role may include occasional local travel to AKU satellite facilities and to other ADMIX study sites in Kenya.
- Liaise with health facility staff to identify potentially eligible study participants for recruitment into specific studies and sub-studies
- Communicate to prospective study participants about the research study
- Screen and recruit study participants including administering informed consent
- Clinical and non-clinical data collection from study participants
- Perform anthropometric measurements and vital signs measurements for study participants
- Collect, transport and log biological samples for the study
- Conduct clinical measurements and clinical tests (e.g. point of care tests, bedside tests) for the study
- Conduct special study procedures for the study including simple ultrasound procedures
- Retrieve ultrasound images for research participants from the clinical and research databases
- Retrieve participant data on perinatal outcomes from the clinical databases
- Conduct participant follow up for assessment of perinatal outcomes
- Create summary reports for activities and relevant events affecting the study as guided by the study coordinator
- Attend training sessions and obtain relevant competency in skills essential for the role
- Any other responsibility as allocated by the study coordinator. This may include activities in the community and activities in other studies within the Centre of Excellence Women and Child Health
- Must have a Diploma in Kenya Registered Nurse Midwife or Kenya Registered Community Health Nurse or equivalent
- Have a valid Practicing Licence from the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Have basic Computer literacy and training
- Have at least 1 year relevant experience at a busy health facility
- Experience in mobile data collection tools is key for this position
- Have Clinical experience in nursing and/or midwifery
- Have demonstrable experience working at the maternity unit, antenatal care unit or child health units at hospital or health centre level
- Experience in clinical research is an asset
- Experience using Hospital Information Systems for patient data will be an added advantage
How to Apply the Aga Khan University (AKU)
Submit your CV, together with contacts of at least three (3) professional referees (relatives and friends not acceptable) who can speak objectively on your academic and professional strength and Application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the title of the position as the subject of the email.